Friday, February 23, 2007

Seth Godin on Why Blog?

Here's Seth Godin's thoughts on why YOU should consider having a blog.
What do most people get out of blogging? After all, most blogs are virtually unread by outsiders...

The act of writing a blog changes people, especially business people. The first thing it does is change posture. Once you realize that no has HAS to read your blog, that you can't MAKE them read your blog, you approach writing with humility and view readers with gratitude. The second thing it does is force you to be clear. If you write something that's confusing or in shorthand, you fail.

Respectful and clear. That's a lot to get out of something that doesn't take much time.

Of course I don't approach my blog like a business person; however, I have found that blogging has forced me to think more about what I believe and why I believe it. It has also gotten me in the discipline of writing (communicating) more regularly, which is definitely a worthy exercise. Finally, it has made me a lot more attentive to what is going on in the world and Christian community. Even if none of you ever read what I write, these reasons alone would make it worth doing.

No comments: