Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Protests Intensify in Madison

Crazy times here in Madison as 16 schools are now closed tomorrow because teachers are all "walking out" so they can go and protest against Governor Scott Walker's proposal to end collective bargaining with teacher's unions. This and his budget, which will greatly cut government employee benefits, have sparked a lot of controversy. This video reflects tonight's protest in the capital which will be followed by an even greater wave of protest tomorrow.



It would not be appropriate for me to express my personal views on this issue in this medium, but two things have troubled me as I've reflected on the last two days...

1. Are people willing to pray for and honor those who are their appointed government leaders? Even ones with which they disagree? Romans 13:1 and 1 Peter 2:13-17 definitely admonishes us in this regard. Certainly it is acceptable and healthy for people to protest, but I am concerned that the tone of these protests is becoming increasingly hostile and is representative of a growing lack of respect in our nation for those in authority.

2. The holocaust of babies being killed every day through abortion in our nation is unthinkable, yet where are the masses of people gathering in our courthouses and capitals protesting these horrors? One could call such a rally, yet the response would pale in comparison. I am not suggesting these kinds of rallies would be the most fruitful means by which to save the lives of the unborn, but I am deeply saddened by the contrast.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Amen brother. Amen. As an educator who taught in WI for over ten years, it's tough to see all of this. Sickouts, what I believe they are calling this strike, are also illegal as per the teacher contract. I wonder how a teacher in good conscience can do something forbidden in their contract and still expect to have credibility and bargaining power. A breach of contract should not equal more rights. I do not agree that all the bargaining rights should be stripped without a new system in place. But then, I'm also for merit pay and I never wanted to be in the union.
I will pray for WI.

Anonymous said...

Amen brother, Amen. As a WI educator for over 10 years, and as someone who grew up in the great state, I am saddened to see all of this. Sickouts/walkouts, if I am not mistaken, are illegal based on the teacher contract. I do not understand how a teacher in good conscience can do something forbidden in their contract and expect to continue to have any rights. In addition, teachers pay quite a bit each year to 'union dues' which also support the PAC which supposedly fights for teacher's rights. I don't understand why, if the union is so powerful, that they did not use more peaceful and legal means for addressing these big issues. While I do not agree with Governor Walker's plan to take away bargaining rights without something new in place, I do think union reform has been a long time coming. I never wanted to be in the union, and I'm for merit pay. You can imagine how popular I was in my school. :) Actually, I usually keep my mouth shut.
We will pray for Wisconsin.

Jessica, currently in Indiana, dreaming of being a good 'ole Wisconsinite again daily...

Scott Sterner said...

Jessica. Sorry your comment was delayed in going up. I turned on comment moderation for this post in order to better control any potential responses. Needless to say, we appreciate your prayers. We know a lot of people who are very passionately on both sides of the issue. There's such a cloud of emotion now, that I'm not sure we are even capable of thinking clearly on the issue. Hopefully a compromise can be found soon and the dust can settle.