1. Know and Love Your City
- Live in a place where you love the city
- Who is your city?
- What is your cities history?
- What is your cities values?
- What is your cities future?
- What is your cities dreams?
- What is your cities fears? This is opposite of your cities values.
- What is your cities ethos? Mode of operation?
2. Prioritize Friendships
- Most church planters are lonely and need strong friendship
- Don’t allow a fear of favoritism to keep you from friendship
- Give a significant priority to making friends… believers and unbelievers
3. Disciple a Handful of Men
- Focus your life on discipling a few men well
- Everyone in the church should have 2 or so people they are investing in
- Rest daily
- Turn off technology… sleep well at night…
- Keep the sabbath
- Once a month have a retreat day… reading bible, praying, reading good books, and then dreaming about the church
- Take an annual break… Justin takes the month of July off every year
- Read: "The Power of Full Engagement"… a good secular book on maintaining rest
5. Unleash Your Rookies
- Don’t hold back your new and young believers
- Let them serve, evangelize, etc…
- Rebuke the control idols
6. Play Big
- Don’t hold back… give everything a 100% efforts. Go for it.
7. Resist the Devil
- 1 Peter 5
8. Go to Where Your Men Work
9. Do What You Love
- One of the quickest ways to burn out is to stop doing what you enjoy
10. Date Your Wife
- We are in a job where your marriage can disqualify you
- Invest in dating your wife
11. Set the Culture
- What your church is going to feel like… how is it going to operate
- Set a culture of encouragement… sending out encouragement cards
- Celebrate any opportunity you get
- Run to the tensions… don’t avoid, but aggressively deal with the issues you face
- Set a Gospel culture where grace is real in your church
12. Take Care of Yourself Financially
- Cities are expensive… take care of yourself… speak with financial planners
- Set a solid salary package that will fully support you
13. Finish Sermons Earlier in the Week
- 8-10 hours on a sermon and have it done by Wednesday morning
- Monday to study the text, Tuesday to outline, Wednesday to assemble
14. Let God Reck You
- God will destroy the church planter somewhere in the journey of planting
- Embrace it as God’s good means of changing you as a person and planter
- Church planting can be the greatest means of sanctification in your life… accept this and recognize it as good.
15. Stay Excited About Jesus